Individual volunteers directly impact RMHC CTX families by providing comfort in a variety of ways. Learn more by selecting the different volunteer opportunities below.
Volunteers must be 16 years old to volunteer at the Ronald McDonald House and 18 years old to volunteer at the Ronald McDonald Family Rooms.
House volunteers play an important role in the day-to-day operations of the Ronald McDonald House. They provide administrative support, help keep our House clean and tidy, offer family support, serve as a welcoming face and provides information to our visitors.
Age: Must be 16 years or older
Location: The Ronald McDonald House – 1315 Barbara Jordan Blvd.
Commitment: Weekly three-hour shift for a minimum of 6 months
Shifts: Shifts are offered daily from 9 a.m. – noon, noon – 3 p.m., 3 p.m. – 6 p.m., and 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Answering phones
- Greeting visitors
- Organizing donations
- Light cleaning of our kitchen and common areas
- Restocking our guest rooms
- Assisting our guest families with items they need
Want to become a House volunteer? Here’s how to get started:
- Application: Complete our House Volunteer Application Form. For an accessible version of the Volunteer Application Form, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Get to know us: Attend a RMHC CTX Volunteer Orientation and learn more about individual opportunities and volunteer expectations.
- Volunteer Placement: Upon review and acceptance of your application, our Volunteer Manager will contact you and arrange your schedule based on your availability and interests
For more information, email our Volunteer Manager at email@example.com.
Interested in helping as a Volunteer Program Assistant?
We are seeking a Volunteer Program Assistant to help our Volunteer Manager with administrative duties and specific task coordination for the volunteer program. This role is an unpaid volunteer position but offers tremendous opportunity to help families with sick children. To review the complete job description, click Volunteer Program Assistant. All resumes should be submitted to René Carlin, Volunteer Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We begin processing volunteer student applications for the Ronald McDonald Family Room program located in Austin on July 1st for our session beginning August 25th. Students must have required immunizations at the time of submitting their application.
Ronald McDonald Family Room
Our Ronald McDonald Family Rooms provide care and comfort to families within the hospital where their children are receiving treatment. Volunteers enable us to serve our families directly at the hospital, while keeping them close to their children.
- Shifts: Weekly or biweekly four hour shifts are offered from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m., 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. and 5 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Communicate with hospital staff to ensure we are providing the best care and support for our families.
- Ensure our records and data are accurate and up-to-date.
- Maintain the Family Room, ensuring it’s clean and stocked for families.
- Process family check-ins and check-outs for our sleeping rooms.
- Communicate needs of the Family Room to Hospital Programs staff.
- Assist families staying in the Family Room as needed
Happy Wheels Cart
Volunteers stroll the Happy Wheels Cart through the hospital hallways providing complimentary items to parents and children. The Happy Wheels Cart brings RMHC CTX directly to the families that are spending long hours at the hospitals with their children.
- Shifts: The Happy Wheels Cart is pushed from 9:00-11:00 AM and 4:00-7:00 PM on weekdays and 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM on weekends, with weekly and bi-weekly shifts lasting one to two hours.
- Dell Children’s Medical Center
- St. David’s North Austin Medical Center
- Navigate the Happy Wheels Cart through the pediatric units of the hospital, distributing complimentary coffee, juice boxes, snacks, coloring books, small toys, toiletries and other items to children and families.
- Keep the Happy Wheels Cart stocked with supplies.
- Communicate Happy Wheels Cart needs to the Hospital Programs Coordinator.
Commitment: We require a minimum six month consecutive commitment or two consecutive semesters with a weekly or bi-weekly shift.
Want to become a Family Room or Happy Wheels Cart volunteer? Here’s how to get started:
- Application – Complete and submit our Family Room Application or Happy Wheels Cart Application. For an accessible version of the Family Room Application or Happy Wheels Cart Application please contact email@example.com.
- Volunteer Placement – Upon review and acceptance of your application, our Hospital Programs team will contact you to discuss your volunteer schedule and hospital placement based on your availability and interests.
- Background Check – The hospital will conduct background checks on all volunteers
- Hospital Health and Safety – Complete all required immunizations listed below. Students must have required immunizations at the time of submitting their application.
- Two doses of MMR – Measles, Mumps, Rubella
- Two doses of varicella – Chicken Pox (either history of disease or proof of vaccination)
- TB (Tuberculosis) test within the last 3 months
- Flu shot is required every flu season (October – March) – no exceptions
- NAMC also requires TDap and a drug screen – provided by the hospital after accepted into program.
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Complete Volunteer Application
- Consent to Criminal Background Check
- Must provide Social Security Number
Ronald McDonald Family Rooms in Brazos Valley
We opened our first Ronald McDonald Family Room in the Brazos Valley at CHI St. Joseph Health Regional Hospital in 2016. We opened second Family Room at College Station Medical Center in January 2018. These comforting havens provide families a quiet, nurturing place to rest and regroup while always staying close to their children.
We are seeking volunteers for our Family Rooms at CHI St. Joseph Health Regional Hospital and College Station Medical Center. If you are interested in learning more, please contact Shannon Cashion at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Family Room volunteers play an important role in the day-to-day operations of the Ronald McDonald Family Rooms. Volunteers assist families with check-in, record data, maintain the space to ensure it’s clean, welcome families, and will be asked to stroll the hospital with the Happy Wheels Cart.
Age: Must be 18 years of age or older
Location(s): Ronald McDonald Family Rooms are located at
Commitment: Weekly or bi-weekly, three-hour shifts for a minimum of six months
Shifts: Monday-Friday: 10 am – 1 pm; 3 pm – 6 pm
Saturday & Sunday: 10 am – 1 pm
- Register guests
- Review guidelines and expectations with families
- Reinforce rules and guidelines when necessary
- Maintain Family Room cleanliness and prepare rooms when necessary
- Offer resources to families
- Push the Happy Wheels Cart, delivering items to families by their child’s hospital bedside.
- Provide a warm, friendly environment for families
Interested in being a Family Room or Happy Wheels Cart Volunteer? Here’s how to get started:
- Application: Complete and submit our Family Room application
- Volunteer Placement: Upon review and acceptance of your application, our Volunteer Manager will contact you to discuss your volunteer schedule and hospital placement based on your availability and interests
- Background Check: The hospital requires RMHC CTX to conduct a background check on all volunteers
- Hospital Health & Safety: Receive an annual TB skin test and flu shot (October-March) and a drug screening for all hospitals.
Happy Wheels Cart
The Happy Wheels Carts stroll the hospital hallways at CHI St. Joseph Health Regional Hospital, College Station Medical Center (The Med) and Baylor Scott & White Medical Center. Designed to support families with children healing in the hospital, volunteers navigate the Happy Wheels Cart throughout the hospital and distribute complimentary items to families with hospitalized children.
Shifts: 9 am – 11 pm; 2 pm – 4 pm; 6 pm – 8 pm
If you’re interested in volunteering your time as a Happy Wheels Cart volunteer, please contact Shannon Cashion at email@example.com.
We are always in need of volunteers with specialized skills. From graphic design, technical support or web analysis, we rely on volunteers to offer assistance so we can continue to effectively support our families.
SKILLED VOLUNTEER POSITION: Bookkeeping and Accounting Volunteer — Click here for more details about the position.
Contact us at Volunteer Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a special a talent you would like to share.
We are always in need of supplies for families that stay at the Ronald McDonald House and visit our three Ronald McDonald Family Rooms. Small comforts like individually wrapped snacks, juice boxes, travel size toiletries make a difference when a family is traveling back and forth to the hospital. You can view our Ronald McDonald House Wish List here, and you can view the Wish List for the Brazos Valley here. For an accessible version of the Wish Lists, please contact email@example.com.