Use your time, talents and heart to comfort our families
Individual volunteers directly impact RMHC CTX families by providing comfort in a variety of ways. Learn more by selecting the different volunteer opportunities below.
Volunteers must be 18 years old to volunteer at the Ronald McDonald House and at the Ronald McDonald Family Rooms.
Volunteer at the Ronald McDonald House
House volunteers play an important role in the day-to-day operations of the Ronald McDonald House. They provide administrative support, help keep our House clean and tidy, offer family support, serve as a welcoming face and provide information to our visitors.
Age: Must be 18 years or older
Location: The Ronald McDonald House – 1315 Barbara Jordan Blvd.
Commitment: Weekly three-hour shift for a minimum of 6 months
Shifts: Shifts are offered daily from 10:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., 2 p.m. – 5 p.m., and 5 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- Answering phones
- Greeting visitors
- Organizing donations
- Light cleaning of our kitchen and common areas
- Restocking our guest rooms
- Assisting our guest families with items they need
Want to become a House volunteer? To apply to be a volunteer, Please create a Volunteer Hub account here, and fill out the required fields. A staff member will contact you about next steps.
Volunteer at an Austin Hospital - Ronald McDonald Family Room or Happy Wheels Cart
We are now accepting applications for Family Room and Happy Wheels Cart volunteers. Applicants must have all required immunizations before submitting their application.
Ronald McDonald Family Rooms
Our Ronald McDonald Family Rooms provide care and comfort to families within the hospital where their children are receiving treatment. Volunteers enable us to serve our families directly at the hospital, while keeping them close to their children.
- Shifts: Weekly or biweekly four hour shifts are offered from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m., 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. and 5 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- St. David’s Women’s Center of Central Texas – Get Directions
- Dell Children’s Medical Center – Get Directions
- Dell Children’s Medical Center North – Get Directions
- St. David’s Medical Center – Get Directions
- Seton Medical Center Austin – Get Directions
- Communicate with hospital staff to ensure we are providing the best care and support for our families.
- Ensure our records and data are accurate and up-to-date.
- Maintain the Family Room, ensuring it’s clean and stocked for families.
- Process family check-ins and check-outs for our sleeping rooms.
- Communicate needs of the Family Room to Hospital Programs staff.
- Assist families staying in the Family Room as needed
Want to become a Family Room volunteer? To apply to be a volunteer, Please create a Volunteer Hub account here, and fill out the required fields. A staff member will contact you about next steps.
Happy Wheels Cart
Volunteers stroll the Happy Wheels Cart through the hospital hallways providing complimentary items to parents and children. The Happy Wheels Cart brings RMHC CTX directly to the families that are spending long hours at the hospitals with their children.
- Shifts: The Happy Wheels Cart is pushed between the hours of 10:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m. and 5:00-7:00 PM on weekdays and 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM on weekends, with weekly and bi-weekly shifts lasting one to two hours.
- Dell Children’s Medical Center
- St. David’s North Austin Medical Center
- Navigate the Happy Wheels Cart through the pediatric units of the hospital, distributing complimentary coffee, juice boxes, snacks, coloring books, small toys, toiletries and other items to children and families.
- Keep the Happy Wheels Cart stocked with supplies.
- Communicate Happy Wheels Cart needs to the Hospital Programs Coordinator.
Commitment: We require a minimum six month consecutive commitment or two consecutive semesters with a weekly or bi-weekly shift.
Want to become a Happy Wheels Cart volunteer? To apply to be a volunteer, please create a Volunteer Hub account here, and fill out the required fields. A staff member will contact you about next steps.
Required Immunizations for Family Room and Happy Wheels Cart Volunteers:
- Two doses of MMR – Measles, Mumps, Rubella
- Two doses of varicella – Chicken Pox (either history of disease or proof of vaccination)
- TB (Tuberculosis) test within the last 3 months
- Flu shot is required every flu season (October – March) – no exceptions
- St. David’s locations require TDap and a drug screen – provided by the hospital after acceptance into the program.
Volunteer for Ronald McDonald House Charities in Bryan-College Station
Ronald McDonald Family Rooms in Brazos Valley
We are seeking volunteers for our Family Rooms at St. Joseph Health Regional Hospital and St. Joseph Health College Station Hospital. If you are interested in learning more, please contact Valerie Gosch-Russell at email@example.com.
Family Room volunteers play an important role in the day-to-day operations of the Ronald McDonald Family Rooms. Volunteers assist families with check-in, record data, maintain the space to ensure it’s clean, welcome families, and will be asked to stroll the hospital with the Happy Wheels Cart.
Age: Must be 18 years of age or older
Location(s): Ronald McDonald Family Rooms are located at
Commitment: Weekly or bi-weekly, three-hour shifts for a minimum of six months
Shifts: Monday-Friday: 10 am – 1 pm; 3 pm – 6 pm
Saturday & Sunday: 10 am – 1 pm
- Register guests
- Review guidelines and expectations with families
- Reinforce rules and guidelines when necessary
- Maintain Family Room cleanliness and prepare rooms when necessary
- Offer resources to families
- Push the Happy Wheels Cart, delivering items to families by their child’s hospital bedside.
- Provide a warm, friendly environment for families
Happy Wheels Cart
The Happy Wheels Carts stroll the hospital hallways at St. Joseph Health Regional Hospital, St. Joseph Health College Station Hospital (The Med) and Baylor Scott & White Medical Center. Designed to support families with children healing in the hospital, volunteers navigate the Happy Wheels Cart throughout the hospital and distribute complimentary items to families with hospitalized children.
Shifts: 9 am – 11 pm; 2 pm – 4 pm; 6 pm – 8 pm
Interested in being a Family Room or Happy Wheels Cart Volunteer in the Brazos Valley? To apply to be a volunteer, please create a Volunteer Hub account here, and fill out the required fields. A staff member will contact you about next steps.
Host a Wish List Drive
We are always in need of supplies for families that stay at the Ronald McDonald House and visit our three Ronald McDonald Family Rooms. Small comforts like individually wrapped snacks, juice boxes, travel-size toiletries make a difference when a family is traveling back and forth to the hospital. You can view our Ronald McDonald House Wish List here, and you can view the Wish List for the Brazos Valley here. For an accessible version of the Wish Lists, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.